My little princess loves the Disney Movies, as most children her age do. But here is something that really bugs me about the Disney movies – where are the moms? Was Walt a single dad and I don’t know it? Hell, was Walt a dad at all?
- Pinocchio – While I admit to this having good moral messages for kids, there is no mother. Only Gepetto, his creator whose only wish was for him to be a real boy.
- Dumbo – Dumbo in fact had a mother, but look what they did to her when she tried to protect her big-eared, cute as can be baby!
- Bambi - Oh little Bambi, growing up in the wild after his mother is shot by hunters. I hated for Emilee to see this part, it’s so hard for the little ones to understand.
- Cinderella – Of course her real mother has passed away, and she has the very mean, very wicked STEPmother. However, I will give this one points because she does have the Fairy Godmother who kicks ass.
- Alice in Wonderland – Alice stumbles into the world of Wonderland. Will she get home? Not if the evil Queen of Hearts has her way!
- Sleeping Beauty – An evil woman wishes death upon a child (she puts a spell on a baby for a future deadly encounter). Is there a mother in this one? I can’t remember.
- The Little Mermaid – No mom, just the Merman dad.
- Beauty and the Beast – No mother, just Belle, and her father, Maurice.
- The Lion King – WOO HOO! Finally a MOTHER!
- Finding Nemo – And the mother is eaten in the very beginning, leaving the dad to raise Nemo by himself.
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - Snow White is pursued by a jealous queen, and hides with the Dwarfs. No mother or father (if memory serves) mentioned in this one.
Now please understand, I love single dads! I support single dads! But these movies seem to always show the woman as either some evil creature, or just not at all. And yes, Emilee has noticed that lots of these characters don’t have mommies at all. And it really bugs me to try and explain that the moms are dead, got eaten, wicked or just … not in the picture.
So I must ask, WTF Disney??